Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Scotland Day 3,4 and 5 - Around the world in search of a nap


I have a proper, no holds barred, kick you in the head cold. I go back in forth between feeling marginally ok and wanting to crawl under a rock and die. It has been a blessing and a curse. I have slowed down considerable from my usual explore every nook, cranny and alley way of a city approach to traveling. So, I will not see everything I want to see, but on the other hand I am choosing my activities wisely and standing more time simply spending time talking to my friend Sharon. So, a blessing and a curse.

On Sunday I did not leave the apartment at all. I watched TV, played on the computer and whimpered a lot.

Yesterday, I was feeling even worse, but being the glutton for punishment that I am I went out anyway. After a overly long (at least to me), wheezy walk to the city center we went to Boots pharmacy and I bought 20 quids worth of drugs and cold related paraphernalia which made it possible to enjoy the day without passing out. We went to the tourist office and booked a tour of the borders for Thursday and the graveyard tour for tonight. After that we went on a city bus tour and made a loop around the city hearing history and fun city facts. We got off at Hollyrood palace, which is where the royal family lives when they are in Edinburgh, and the palace many of the kings and queens of Scotland lived. After the palace we got back on the bus and finished the tour. By the end of the tour I was absolutely smashed, so we headed home. We watched a movie and hung out. I Went to bed about midnight, only feeling a little better.

This morning we slept in and didn't leave the apartment until 1pm. We went to the neighborhood pub and had lunch after which we walked further towards downtown and went to the movies where we say "The Devil Wears Prada" It was a cute movie. After the movie we left the theater, it was raining, the first rain since we have been here. We walked home through the wet, glossy streets. About 8pm we will be heading back out for our Graveyard tour, I will be bundling up, the last thing I need is to get more sick, just when I am beginning to feel better.

No comments: