Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Aqualung
The Great American Music Hall

Or as we now call it after realizing how much the inside of this place looks like the theater in the Muppet Show: The Great American Muppet Hall.

Every time I have seen this group it is slightly different. I have seen incarnations from just Matt Hales at an electric piano to a five piece band (once even with his wife singing) so it is definitely never the same show twice with these guys even if you are hearing the same songs (which I never get tired of by the way) This is a band on the low key side of the spectrum as far as music is concerned. Not that they are low key as people, there is always a lot of energy and Matt Hales is one of the funniest musicians I have ever seen. I think it also helps that he usually plays with his brother (Ben) so there is always good natured teasing between them. This show was the full band variety with Matt actually playing guitar in addition to the piano, which I had not seen before. In addition to all their great songs they ended the set with a totally kick ass rendition of Queen's Somebody to Love! Oh yeah!

No comments: