Saturday, September 03, 2005



Wicked
Orpheum Theater

My friend Row and I took our moms to see wicked this weekend.

To be honest I have not always been a big fan of musicals, I kind of think they are cheesy. So, maybe it is old age setting in, but they have started to grow on my the past few years.

I enjoyed this production mostly for the spectacular stage set up and the cirque-du-soleil-esque wardrobe. I still think the singing is a bit cheesy, but could get past that for the cool story. It did not hurt that the play was at the orpheum theater, which is absolutely beautiful.

Row said the musical was not very close to the book (which I have just started reading) and that they changed a lot of the story. But that is to be expected, it is not too easy to cram a whole book into a two hour production, and there is always "poetic license" taken when plays and movies are taken from books. It is more "inspired by" the book than based on it.

All in all we had a great time with our moms and a great dinner before the play at a restaurant in Berkeley called Seasalt. Even if you don't like musicals, this one was not half bad.

No comments: